What causes nausea and dizziness post SILS cholecystectomy?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: hello sir, my wife have operated for GB stone by SILC on date 15/07/2014..
she have mild pain in rt hypochondrium & in rt iliac fossa occasionally..
she had mild fever on yesterday, today she is feeling nausea & dizziness..
sir what these symptoms indicate, r these due to any complication of SILC.
Plz sir help me..
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be Viral fever

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Usually the complications after SILS Cholecystectomy are evident almost on the same say or within the first 3 days. IT is almost more than 16 days.
The possible problem can be a mild infection as may occur with any other Surgery. In her case the pain is on the right hypochondrium and right iliac fossa. The nausea, fever and dizziness if for 2 days only.
Please check for the following and decide:
It may be flu as this is the season of it.
Watch for jaundice- IF there are associated symptoms of Jaundice, bloating or related to urine or bowel you may go for tests of liver function, CBC, Widal and ultrasonography. If these are not present , nothing much to worry, Have one visit to be seen by the operating Surgeon or his Assistant Surgeon just to alleviate the fear , which I can understand.
Just give symptomatic treatment if it is flu/ viral fever.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 12 minutes later
Sir,
means now i should not worried for complication of SILC..
What is your opinion sir,.
Sir i m also MBBS greduate but was more worried.
sir plz rply..
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably viral fever, Tests is required

Detailed Answer:

I did think that you are a medico due to the typical words only a MBBS can write.

This happened with my brother also, similar problem after 15 days of laparoscopic hernial repair and turned out to be viral fever.

Well, you can really understand my points the best now.

Take this as a viral fever only and be on a watch for the symptoms, signs I have already described and get tested if required to rule out the possibility of a complication and may be most important to alleviate the fear.

The symptoms are mild, just for 2 days so I think nothing to panic at the moment. Please give the antipyretics which suits her the most.

All the best. Please let me if you need to know anything more.
5 stars if you wish to.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari