• question-icon

What causes nausea and diarrhoea after eating?

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I ate a hamburger at work (hospital) which had been at room temperature for 1-2 hours on Friday, XXXXXXX 30th. I've had nausea and diarrhea (liquid and very loose stools) without vomiting several times a day since, every day through today. I took Kaopectate for about 10 days, but it did not improve. I saw my PCP Tuesday the 12th, and she gave me Xifaxan 550mg 1/2 tablet tid x 5 days. I've eaten very little since then, vegetarian and yogurt, with some meat early on and the last couple days. I had a wonderful, healthy (all of us) XXXXXXX Steves group tour with great food for 2 1/2 weeks in XXXXXXX The week after coming home was fine, until the hamburger. Help!The trip was to France. All food was cooked/prepared for us. No one got sick on the trip. One of the staff at work had diarrhea 5 days.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Some practical advises regarding diet and rehydration.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

It seems like your problem is more then just a viral infection of the intestine. When these problems last more then 7 days with diarrhea, the next step is trying antibiotics and your doctor has chose the right antibiotic.

Drinking plenty of fluids it is very important, because you need to prevent antibiotics. Take small amounts and very often.
You can take oral rehydration salts too which will help you to keep the fluids down.
It is important then when your appetite returns to eat a diet with BRAT (Banana, rice, apple and toast). Yogurt is ok, but avoid milk.
You can talk probiotics over the counter which will help to stabilize your bowel.

If not better when you finish the antibiotics you will need to see the local doctor again, because you may need to do a colonoscopy so they can see what is going on with your bowel or do further testing.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you have other questions or concerns.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Klarida Papaqako