What causes nausea and bloating?

Posted on Mon, 10 Nov 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: hi i had a endoscopy 1.5yrs ago w biopsy everything came out good no h pylori just reflux and abdominal ct scan 6 months ago due to severe bloating also was good. Last 2 weeks i am getting nausea after eating and sometimes bloated is it possible that something change in this time like stomach cancer or anything like that ?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
GERD can present with nausea and bloating as well

Detailed Answer:
No the bloating and nausea can be seen with GERD after eating heavy meals. No it can not be any sort of cancer. However it looks like you have pretty severe GERD. You need to follow these nonpharmacological measures.

Nonpharmacotherapy

Lifestyle modifications used in the management of gastroesophageal reflux disease include the following:
Start chewing sugar free chewing gum in the major part of your day and especially after eating meal. That acts like a prokinetic and helps with symptoms.
Losing weight (if overweight)
Avoiding alcohol, chocolate, citrus juice, and tomato-based products
Avoiding peppermint, coffee, and possibly the onion family[7]
Eating small, frequent meals rather than large meals
Waiting 3 hours after a meal to lie down
Refraining from ingesting food (except liquids) within 3 hours of bedtime
Elevating the head of the bed 8 inches
Avoiding bending or stooping positions

you need to concentrate on these measures since you say you are already using proton pump inhibitors because this is the end of line medical treatment for GERD. I am afraid you may end up doing surgery for it if don't follow these non pharmacological measures. Hope it helps
Dr. Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Thank you
Just a bit paranoid about abdominal cancers
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
no chance of gastric cancer

Detailed Answer:
Please know gastric cancer always occur in elderly. It is not at all a disease of your age group. Hence no possibility at all. However you would like to work on the nonpharmacological meaures especially the chewing gum part. You may start doing endoscopy some years later for diagnosing barrets esophagus though which again in 1-2 percent of cases converts into esophygeal cancer. And your presentation has nothing to do with it. Thank you
Dr. Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan