What causes nausea after GERD surgery?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 30 Jul 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Gerd surgery 9 weeks ago been nauseated ever since. Do you think this will pass and does this happen often?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Very characteristic for Nissen fundoplication is that it gives almost instant relief from GERD symptoms (if done correctly).
9 weeks after surgery is quite early. So the nausea can be present. But it should be less intense day by day. In other words you should feel that you are improving. Sooner or later, nausea should go away, otherwise the surgery is not successful.

If there is constant nausea feeling especially after a meal, there is a possibility of too tight stomach entrance or simple peptic ulcer (upper middle abdominal pain should be also present).
I suggest you to consult your surgeon. To check how the stomach is doing after the surgery gastroscopy or barium swallow should be done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 23 minutes later
barium swallow showed very good and not too tight. I have a upper endoscopy in 2 weeks. I think I was eating the wrong types of food at first that set me back. could this be possible? NEUASE IS THERE MOST OF THE TIME AFTER I EAT AND EVEN NOT AFTER I EAT. WILL THIS SUBSIDE. NO ABD PAIN AT ALL
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
Of course this is possible. Even person without surgery which is prone to GERD or nausea can have nausea caused by foods.
The most important is not the type of food, but the amount of foods. Your stomach needs to get used to new situation (it is a little bit smaller than before the surgery). That is why you should eat more often and smaller portions. Please also avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, fried foods. Do not drink carbonated drinks.

Regards.