paste will be helpful
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day
Dear Ms XXXXXXX
Being a parent myself I do understand your concern and apprehension.
As colon is concerned with absorption of water from stools and converting them into solid stools from liquid. In the surgical removal of colon there may be watery diarrhoea
especially if there is associated upper respiratory tract
infection. Over a period of time upto 18months the small intestine
undergoes adaptation by increasing the surface area of absorption by increase in depth of villi and mucosa folds and slowly taking over the function of colon. During this time there could be numerous episodes of loose motion
The principle of management will be
1. Prevent dehydration
by ensuring good intake of fluids
2. Prevent the excoriation and redness in peri anal and buttock region.
I have discussed this issue with my husband who is a Neonatal and Pediatric Surgeon.
I would advise you the following
1. Continue giving breastfeeding
if you are still giving. Top feeds like smashed banana will be very helpful
2. Peri anal application of either Zinc oxide paste or egg white will be helpful. It acts as a barrier and prevents contact of liquid stools with skin surrounding the anus and prevents the rash. Zinc oxide paste is highly beneficial.
3. Few drops of Pomegranate juice given during episode of loose motion will be helpful to limit the loose stools.
4. Jaiphal (Nutmeg): If nutmeg is available locally, half nutmeg can be crushed and added to half glass of water. Mix it well and decoction prepared . This decoction should be given to the child during loose motion. 5 to 1 0 drops four times a day. It is also very helpful in limiting the loose motion.
5. Normal Saline nasal drops inserted in the nose thrice a day will help in clearing the nose.
Over period of next 6 months the frequency of loose motion will definitely reduce .
The above tricks are very useful in management of such cases. Also apply zinc oxide all over the perianal region and buttocks.
wishing you and your baby a very happy and healthy life.
Dr T Shobha Deepak