• question-icon

What causes mustard yellow colored stools?

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have has a mustard colour stool for over 6 months.
It is the colour of dark yellow mustard and has been for a long time.

I had a stool test when i first reported it to gp but it came back ok.
I also had gallbladder ultra sound ( monitoring polyps less thab 5mm for five years no change) and nothing reported abnormal.
I have a lot od stress in my life could it be stress related
Answered by Dr. Sunil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely related to obstruction caused by polyp in bile flow.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.

Bilirubin and bile give poop its normal brown color. Bilirubin is a byproduct of your red blood cells. It’s produced in the liver and then moves to the gallbladder, where it mixes with bile. From there, most of the bilirubin passes into your intestines where it’s broken down by bacteria and discarded in your feces.Polyp or sludge in gallbladder reduce the amount of bile that reaches your intestines(as it blocks the passage of bile) causing stool to turn mustard like.

Most likely its related to polyp in gall bladder anxiety has no role in mustard color stools as this is suggestive that bile flow to intestines is obstructed.
Anxiety has a role in green color stools in which due to anxiety bile passes through intestines unbroken leading to green poop.
If ultrasonograms are normal you need not to worry.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist