What causes muscles spasms under ribs?

Dr. Rakesh Sharma

Posted on Tue, 13 Jan 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Been having muscles spasms or pulsating sensations under my left side ribs,it's hard to take deep breaths and the pain on a daily is in my left top shoulder and my neck as well.I have been to a doctor and they said it was a pulled muscle but these spasms I get under my rib cage are sometimes unbearable and hurt worse when I lay down often occurring in the mornings and usually last about 10 to 20 mins before going back to just the regular pain I have.I feel like that is something more serious.Do you think it's anything different than just a muscle pull? To add on I have had my chest Xrayed to look at my lungs my back and both of my sides as well.I honestly feel completely fine other than that pain under my left ribs/back and the top of shoulder/neck
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
muscular pain

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
I am Dr Rakesh Sharma answering your query.
I can understand your concern.
All your symptoms are indicative of muscular pain.
You have been given right treatment, and hot compress will definitely help.
If I were your treating doctor,I would have added some muscle relaxant and to apply some local analgesic gel after hot compress, that may give you faster relief.
You can discuss this point with your doctor.
Hope I have answered your query.
If any thing else you are welcome.
Good luck.