What causes muscles spasms in the buttocks after radiofrequency neurotomy?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 14 Oct 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: my husband had RFA done on is lower back. L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1, Favel joint areas last week and he is now having a charley horse type pain in his butt. He has had this procedure done 3 other times in the last 6 years successfully. Is this a side effect or something new?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Probably a complication of the procedure.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

These symptoms are included in potential complications of the radiofrequency ablation (or neurotomy) procedure, that may cause muscles spasms at the site of the procedure and in nearby structures.

In your husband's case, the level L5-S1 seems to be the affected one.

I think your husband should continue the actual treatment for another week to see how it is going.

If symptoms persist after a week or two, an evaluation by your husband's Doctor and probably imaging of the lumbosacral spine is necessary.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T