What causes muscle weakness while on Levaquin?

Posted on Wed, 25 Jan 2017 in Kidney Conditions
Question: My mother's doctor just prescribed levaquin for my 89-year old mother for a UTI. My mother already has some muscle weakness and I can concerned about its side effects. Before being moved to Assisted Living at Pilgrim Manor, doctors have always prescribed Cipro for my mother and it has always worked.

I think Cipro would be a safer choice. Any thoughts?
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
same family of medication

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is understandable to be concerned regarding side effects of any medication particularly since some may be more common in older persons.

These medications, levofloxacin and ciprofloxacin are in the same drug family, both are fluoroquinolones though levofloxacin is stronger and usually reserved for severe or resistant infections. There are some bacteria that are resistant to ciprofloxacin that respond to levofloxacin.

Because they are from the same drug family the side effect profile is normally similar.
Most or all of the potential side effects should be the same or close.

Ciprofloxacin can also cause tendonitis (inflammation of the tendons) like levofloxacin.

If the infection is thought to be severe or not responding otherwise, this may be the reason for the switch but if you can still not comfortable , then you may want to consider speaking to her doctor to see if she can take the cipro instead.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James