• question-icon

What causes muscle weakness after suffering from a stroke?

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I used to be able to box. Lately, however, it is like my right rm has lost it's coordination, it's "rhythm". I try to punch and I am retarded , looking more like a seizure than a boxer.

Can I GET MY ability to BOX back, or would stem cells get me my XXXXXXX back. I can't hit as hard as I used to.

Could constant pressure in right ear be dragging me down? i used to be able to punch 900 pounds on the punching machine, now I can only do 700.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be a consequency of the stroke.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Looking at your medical history I see that you have a history of stroke. You do not specify which side though. If it was in the left side of the brain then it might well be responsible for the movement issues with your right arm. That is if symptoms appeared after the stroke. If stroke is the cause I am afraid after 4 years there is little hope for further recovery. As for stem cell therapy that is still an experimental treatment, there are still many issues which haven't been solved in that field.

If on the other hand it is on the right side or doesn't coincide with the time when the stroke happened then I think you must be seen by a neurologist for a neurological issue such as Parkinson's which can cause slowing and rigidity of the limbs on one side or also a new stroke. So a physical neurological exam and possibly brain imaging would be needed.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 7 hours later
Can Parkinson's be cured? WHAT IS it?In 2003 I could punch box normal. Beginning slowly in 2004 I found my right side slowly losing that "rhythm". Had stroke in 2013.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
Parkinson's disease is a condition caused by the lack of a substance called dopamine in certain areas of the brain which are occupied with the control, the fine tuning of movements. It is manifested by slowing of the movement, rigidity of the limbs, tremors. Usually starts on one side later on involving both sides. It is a chronic disease, can't be cured in the sense of removed for good, but medication substituting the lacking dopamine controls the symptoms well.
However, before you start to panic, given the timeline of your symptoms it doesn't look that likely now. Since the issue has been present for 14 years, if it was Parkinson's without treatment it should have progressed and worsened now, involving the other side as well. So wouldn't say it is very likely.
Given the relation in time I would say it is most likely to be a consequence of the stroke, although more information regarding stroke location would be necessary.

Let me know if I can further assist you.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 2 days later
Is there ANY way (INCLUDING stem cells) if it's what Muhammed XXXXXXX had, to reverse this shit? If I have to be this uncoordinated retard I WILL CURSE God and die, so I don't HAVE to kill myself!
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
What Muhammed XXXXXXX had was a Parkinson syndrome (not disease), meaning he had some common symptoms with Parkinson's disease but not the same cause, different origin. It was due to damage to several areas of the brain due to the repeat hits he took due to his profession. Anyway whether the disease or syndrome it is not reversed with stem cells, at least not for now. As I said stem cell is experimental therapy, still undergoing research, it hasn't been proven and approved for regular use in any neurological condition. You shouldn't fall prey to those offering it for profit. Only if offered in the setting of research program in a major facility can it be tried, but even then as I said it would be experimental, high probability of failure.
However all this talk about Parkinson's is premature, in my last answer I said that given when it started it was highly unlikely.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 9 hours later
CAN I ever box again, or get back the rhythm-coordination and become "untarded"?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
Well the answer to that question depends on the cause actually, up to now you haven't provided much info regarding your stroke or taken any diagnostic step. However generally speaking, since stroke is perhaps the most likely diagnosis, most improvement happens in the first year, after such a long time it is unlikely for the deficit to reverse. Furthermore I am not sure that box is the best sport for you considering the risk for repeat trauma.

Wishing you all the best.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist