• question-icon

What causes muscle twitching in abdomen after increasing the dosage of Crestor?

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I increased my Crestor dose from 20mg to 40 mg and a few months later I was diagnosed with anemia for the first time. I also started getting muscle twitching in the abdomen and now some in my arms and legs. Is there a correlation?
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
May be related to crestor 40 mg

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to HCM.

I have read your query and understand your concern.

Since you are getting muscle twitching after increasing the dose Crestor 40 mg,then I would say YES.It might be related to this 40 mg dose of crestor.

Crestor (rosuvastatin 40 mg) might cause this muscle twitching sensations at comparatively much higher dose.These side effects are less common with 5 mg or 10 mg dosages or even at 20 mg dose.

Also,you have started taking iron supplements and they are also associated with these kind of side effects like muscle spasm,pain or cramps.

However,these side effects are less common with 50 mg iron which is comparatively a low dose (standard dose is 100mg and also dose depends on how your hemoglobin is low).

So,I would suggest you to discuss this to your treating doctor and ask him/her to reduce the dose of Crestor (10 or 20mg) if possible.

Hope this helps.

Dr.Sandip Kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Sandip Kabra