• question-icon

What causes muscle strain in the upper right abdominal area?

Posted on Thu, 16 Mar 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Sure I have a muscle strain upper right abdomen, can feel a bulge about 1.5 inch long protrude under .5 inch. pain is less when I push the bulge in. Hurts when cough or sneeze or any stress or strain involving stomach muscles, getting out of or into bed. Simple strain?

Answered by Dr. Endri Katro 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Epigastric hernia...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking Healthcaremagic.

I have read you dymptoms and my answer is as follows:
The bulge that you describe 1.5 inch x0.5 inch that hurts more when you sneeze or do any physical stress might be an epigastric hernia. Even when you press it and hurts less correlate with it.

Muscle strain doesn't correlate with the symptoms that you describe and the bulge that you feel.

If i was your caring doctor i would do a physical exam of your abdomen and the bulge that you describe and recomend an ultrasound to confirm the diagnose.

If the diagnose is confirmed for epigastric hernia than surgery is the right treatment.

If you have any other question,feel free to contact me.

Whish you good health

Dr.Endri Katro
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Endri Katro

General Surgeon