What causes muscle stiffness in arms, back and hands?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi. From last 2 months, i have been witnessing many symptoms which are on and off. Listing them down below:
1. Muscle twisting in arms, back, thigh, feet and hands. Muscle stiffness and muscle aches at times as well. Shoulder and neck pain. Muscle twisting happens every day and sometime are almost continuous
2. Change in vision and blur vision. Had difficult in focusing. Now have started using glasses (had change in eye sight number)
3. Headache, it usually happens behind right eye
4. Elevated BP and anxiety (for unknown reasons)

I am 28 years old male and have been fairly healthy all my life. I have done 3 marathons in last two years but his year have not done any form of physical exercise. Since suddenly i have witnessed so many probelms/ changes in my health, i am increasingly getting concerned about my health. I got most of the health tests done including MRI of brain and every thing was fine. After series of tests, doctors found that i have sinus (right side if the nose) and they thought my headache and muscle related tension was because of anxiety, but I am having good sleep every night (7-8 hrs).

Since i have a family history of hypertension and my mother had epilepsy, i got worried that I might be building up to that and got EEG done. The report came out normal but doctor said brain cell were little activated and gave anti epileptic tablet for two weeks.

My symptoms didnt not improve and I got Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D test done and both came low. Vitmain B12 was 194.00 pg/ml and Vitamin D 12.58 nmol/L. My doctor said above symptoms could be because of low level of these two. He prescribed my Meconex - OD for 2 months (1 capsule a day) and Bonshine 60000 (1 capsule a week). I have been taking these for last two weeks but havnt felt any better.

Muscle twitching is not going and i am getting worried that I might get epileptic seizure. Need second opinion from doctors here to reassure myself that things will be better.

XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Related to vitamin deficiency and anxiety.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms and laboratory reports.

It is good to note that your MRI brain and EEG reports are normal.

I would like to reassure you that you do not have any serious neurological disease and there is no increased risk of you getting any seizure or epileptic fits despite the positive family history.

Vitamin B12 and D deficiency could cause similar symptoms and you are on the correct treatment for that. In addition, you may take a few vitamin B12 injections also.

Associated anxiety is making your symptoms worse. A low dose of anti-anxiety medication such as clonazepam tablets would be helpful.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in