What causes muscle stiffness, and pain in the neck?

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Thu, 6 Sep 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: This started about a month ago. The veins or muscles in my neck get very stiff and hard. It is painful and hard to turn my neck. It doesn't happen every day but at least a few times a week.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible Cervical spine spondylosis

Detailed Answer:

I can certainly understand your concern.

I have worked through your attached query in detail.

Many of your neck symptoms are a part of degenerative disc disease. This is possibly cervical spondylitis.

In view of past history of spinal stenosis, fracture of vertebrae and degenerative disc disease, it's advisable to get a latest MRI scan of total spine to detect the site and severity of nerve compression.

In most cases surgery is planned accordingly to relive the compression on spine which is the source of pain and neck muscle spasm.

Please note degenerative disc changes are progressive and hence surgery is mandatory at some point or the other.

Oral pain medication will offer only a limited relief.

Surgery offers Permanent relief.

Take care,
Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng