question-icon

What causes muscle spasms?

Posted on Fri, 14 Mar 2014
Question: I'm 48 yo w/m . Every time i stretch, my back gets muscle spasms. When I get up after sleeping, my shoulders hurt, almost a burning pain, not in the joint, but muscle.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E (13 minutes later)
Brief Answer: get your calcium and vitamin D levels checked Detailed Answer: Hello, The muscle spasms that you are getting could be due to low calcium and/or vitamin D levels. I would suggest you to get tested for both of these. In the meantime, you can start yourself on calcium supplements that are available over the counter. Take a glass of whole milk daily. Avoid stretching for a while now as it may increase the spasms. Do let me know the test results to guide you further. Take care!
Dr. Shanthi.E