What causes muscle pain under right scapula and numbness in fingers?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: I work as a Microbiologist in a very busy hospital. 2 weeks ago I began having muscle pain under my right scapula, which I assumed was the usual pain I get from tension, as I've had it before. By the next day, the pain had moved into my rt. shoulder and then down my arm, under my arm and to my hand. My fingers are numb now and the pain is moderate - enough to keep me awake. I have degenerative disc disease w/several cervical vertebrae affected, and have been told this all is coming from my neck. Meanwhile, I "thought" I had an appt. today w/a pain specialist, who rudely informed me they'd never heard of me and have no records. My memory is so foggy from 2 weeks ago, I can't remember how the appt. was made, but I have today written down. My regular neurosurgeon, whom I've gotten shots from for my back, is out of town until August 19th, and meanwhile I'm off work and need to go back. Since I began this query, my PCP's nurse called back to tell me that she DID make an appt for today, but there was a mixup w/my records at the pain specialist's office.She did manage to get me in tomorrow, but when I asked, she also told me this doc is not well favored. I'm not ready to be retired yet, and don't know what to do now. If you can help, I'd appreciate it. I'm beginning to think I need a neurologist/neurosurgeon in Little Rock, but I want a good one, and have no idea who that would be.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestive of pinched cervical nerve

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms and they are suggestive of a pinched nerve in the cervical (neck) region. This can cause pain in the neck/in between the scapula and below the scapula. The pain may radiate to shoulder, arm, forearm and hand on the same side.

The diagnosis can be confirmed by clinical examination and MRI scan of cervical spine. It is unfortunate that you are unable to meet a specialist soon.

You would benefit from taking pregabalin or gabapentin capsules, which are very effective for nerve-related pain.

Also, physiotherapy with IFT/ultrasound and traction would be helpful.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in