Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

What causes muscle pain post infection?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 1417 Questions
I have a lot of pain. I got sick with what seemed like the flu, didn't vomit. Later had diarrhea. Now my butt hurts when standing, sitting, or laying, constant pain. Started yesterday, and has increased in pain since. Pain is constant. What is it? How do I fix?
Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Like to be myalgia.

Detailed Answer:

It is likely to be myalgia.Myalgia is muscle pain and is often seen in viral infection or immediately post infections.

Few things that can help are oral analgesics, rest, balanced diet, adequate water and electrolyte intake.Hot water bag can help to relieve symptoms. You can continue ibuprofen twice a day. This myalgia will settle down soon.

Hope this answers your question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes muscle pain post infection? 10 minutes later
back in February I had similar pains just not this intense. is that normal?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please check out if there is any gluteal lump.

Detailed Answer:
Please check out if there is any gluteal lump.Gluteal abscess can cause such recurrent pain.

If there is no lump,then try things I have suggested.

If symptoms still continue, do see doctor to have look at the region to check out of there is any other cause of pain.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes muscle pain post infection? 10 minutes later
I think there is, and in February there was one too. if that is the case, how are such things treated and is it serious?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Either with oral antibiotics or drainage.

Detailed Answer:
If there is lump , then first and more likely possibility would be a gluteal abscess.

In that case if it is small in size and not discharging any secretions , then a course of oral antibiotics can help you.

If its large , then doctor might want to drain it out.This particularly helps complete resolution and prevents recurrence.

This is not something extremely serious, but you will need doctor's help to treat this.Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor