What causes muscle pain in legs?

Dr. Lohit K

Posted on Wed, 16 Jul 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: leg muscle area {location about 2" above knee) keep getting sharp pains off and on has been building in intensity over the last 4 to 5 days. no injuries, no knee problems.
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
anti inflammatory with muscle relaxant. rest

Detailed Answer:

I went through the query and understood your concern.

With no other local clinical features the common causes that can cause local pain with increasing intensity at the knee joint may be osteoarthritis, muscle sprain and Hypocalcemia.

Since you don't have any other complaints and no medications and considering the acute onset, the probable cause may be due to local injury. You need to give rest with NSAID like Ibuprofen for pain and serratiopeptidase for any local inflammatory swelling. Application of topical analgesic cream will help in faster recovery. Muscle relaxant like tizanidine or chlorzoxazone may be beneficial.

If the pain doesn't reduce with the above measures then needs examination and get done x ray knee joint and serum calcium levels just to rule out if any problem.
Don't handle the area manually as this can hurt more.

I hope this information helps you. Feel free to ask for any further queries. I will be glad to answer them.
Wish you good health and faster recovery.

Follow up: Dr. Lohit K 4 hours later
Thank you for response but the it is not knee joint but the leg muscle thigh area msybe the nerves in that muscle. I mentioned its inches above knee for a reference. Its sometimes like needles stabbing that area, then goes quickly, even if napping , area is not red but can be tender to touch, like its undernesth surface, am takingsynthroid and Losartan for high blood pressure for meds history. Overall am very tired
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
muscle sprain! rest,drugs.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for giving more information.
yes. I saw that point in your previous query.

With osteoarthritis, Hypocalcemia and also muscle sprain you may feel similar complaints and these are common causes. Continue taking synthyroid and losartan. Monitor your lipid profile and sugar levels regularly since you have risk factor of hypothyroidism and hypertension.

The tenderness you have suggest local problem, may be due to muscle sprain as first differential diagnosis. Giving rest and earlier said treatment may help in complete recovery.
For tiredness usually good nutritious diet with plenty of water will help in most of my patients so I advise the same for you for now. If not recovered then further evaluation can be done.

If we find any problem with investigations then needs to treat based on report.

I hope this information helps you. Feel free to ask for any further information.

Wish you faster recovery.