Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

What causes muscle pain after having Niacin?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1649 Questions
I took Niacin when I did that Lasermed and I am now have muscle pains in my left arm, sometimes my right arm and my legs, would the niacin cause the side effects? I have never had these pains and I do not have diabetes or any other illnesses.
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes. Plenty of water. NSAID

Detailed Answer:

I went through the query and understood your concern.

Yes, niacin can cause muscular pain as its side effects. But since it is water soluble the drug will excrete if excess and hence the pain may disappear with time. So drink plenty of water and exercises. Also check for serum calcium and CPK levels to rule out any abnormalities.
For now drink plenty of water and NSAID like aceclofenac or Ibuprofen will help in reducing pain.

I hope this information helps you and answered your questions.
Feel free to ask for any further queries. I will be glad to answer them.

Wish you good health and enjoy life.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor