• question-icon

What causes muscle fatigue, discomfort in limbs and body post an injury?

Posted on Thu, 26 May 2016 in General Health
Question: Lately I have been experiencing muscle fatigue and discomfort in my limbs and body. I previously injured both my knees in various accidents and they too have been bothering me. I have difficulty walking up and down stairs. The knees are stiff and make a cracking sound. I am most concerned about the muscle fatigue. Thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
different possible causes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

With a history of recurrent injury to the knees, this would mean that you are at increased risk of osteoarthritis to the knees.

Osteoarthritis is one form of arthritis, the most common. It is related to degeneration or wear and tear of the joint. There is a decrease in the cartilage that separates the joints and they may rub against each other, other changes to the joint can also occur.

This rubbing can result in a cracking sound but you can consider an x ray of the joint to confirm this.
Osteoarthritis is also associated with stiffness.

The muscle fatigue in the legs may be related to the change in the joints because the muscles may have to work .

If the fatigue is generalized however, you may want to consider assessment to rule out other causes.

Your doctor may consider: (a) a full blood count ( to rule out anemia)
(b)thyroid function tests-to check for low levels of thyroid hormone
(c)electrolyte levels- abnormal electrolytes can sometimes cause problems
(d)liver and kidney function - abnormal function of either of these organs can cause weakness and fatigue
(e)ESR- this is a non specific inflammatory marker and goes up if there is any inflammation in the body.
It would respond to infection, trauma, cancer, autoimmune diseases (eg lupus, rheumatoid)

These baseline tests would give an idea of the possible cause of the fatigue

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James