• question-icon

What causes muscle cramps when diagnosed with sepsis?

Posted on Wed, 2 Aug 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I had severe sepsis in May. I also have 's, sleep apnea with clap, diabetes under control, severe hypertension with meds increasingly resistant, headaches, Muscle cramps,c.f. indicated brain atrophy brain microangiopasty, 100 protein in urine since sepsis. What kind of ongoing damage could be occurring.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need details.

Detailed Answer:
Hi. Welcome to Healthcare Magic. I am Dr Anshul Varshney for your help.
You seem to be suffering from Chronic Kidney disease and to help you with the prognosis, I need to know following :
1. Kidney function tests
2. Complete blood count.
3. Your blood pressure readings.
4. Your Cardiac status.
Revert with the asked details for a better help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 40 minutes later
Didnt get a kidney function test at hospital that i know of at hospital. Blood pressure has been as high 190/105 last 3 days on clonidine sometimes goes as low as 100/64 didnt get a record of my ekg from hospital pulse rate has been in the high 80s normal for me is about 65. Also having cold hands and feet tap water feels icy on my hands for the last 2 weeks. Have only put out about 8 ounces of urine today been drinking about 50 ounces of fluid. Also i was at the store parking lot its 95 today and normally i sweat a lot today was just very little sweat. I am taking a 24 hour urine collection as instructed by my primary doctor. They wouldnt give me a referral without first doing the collection.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need kidney function tests

Detailed Answer:
Hi, You seem to be suffering from Chronic Kidney disease and 24 hour urinary protein would help to know the range of protein in urine and action suggested.
Important here is to get your kidney function tests, even if done, you need to get them repeated.
eGFR, Serum Creatinine, BUN would help us to know the extent of damage of the kidneys and the prognosis as well.
As this point of time, you need a strict control of your blood pressure. I suppose, you would need to take Clonidine 0.1 mg twice daily to get it under control.

If you are getting swelled up and your urine output is also less, you would need a diuretic for relief.

I hope it helps you.
If you have any further query, please ask me.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 23 hours later
My 24 hour urine. Collection had a protein of 570 how much more danger am I in now.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please mention units.

Detailed Answer:
Hi. Please mention the units of 24 hour Urinary protein result.
I suppose it is in milligrams.
If possible attach the report.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 1 hour later
570 milligrams on 24 hour test
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not Nephrotic range.

Detailed Answer:
Hi. If I talk about this report as alone, kidney damage is there but not extreme as >3.5 hm of Protein indicates Nephrotic range protein Uria.

As I have explained previously and I need kidney function tests to comment better.

Based on this report it seems you have developed diabetic kidney disease. In case your potassium is normal you would need an add up of ACE inhibitor group of antibiotic hypertensives that helps in reducing the protein in urine.

I hope it helps you. If you have any further query please ask me.
Dr. Anshul Varshney