What causes muscle cramps in the fingers?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Must-have episode of muscle cramps in my right thumb and index finger lasted five minutes
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to dehydration.

Detailed Answer:
The muscle cramps that you have can be due to dehydration, muscle fatigue or electrolyte abnormalities. It is better to drink sufficient fluid and also see that your intake of electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium ) is sufficient. You can drink Oralyte for this.
In case the spasms are persistent then do get a few blood tests done and nerve conduction to rule out any nerve irritability.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal