What causes muscle contraction in upper trapezius after neck surgery?
I have CONSTANT muscle contraction/spasm of my upper trapzius, due to 2 surgeries. 1st one for posterior, 5 level fusion, instrumentation. The 2nd surgery 8 days later removed bone fragments from compresssion fracture C-7,T-1. This was 18 months ago. "Failed neck surgery syndrome - with nerve damage, muscle atrophy and muscle separation". I have had PT, acupuncture and trigger point injections. Am seeing pain management MD., Have tried Neurontin, Lyrica (side effects), several muscle relaxants, but too sedating - I work full time. Are there any other treatment options? I would even consider another surgery if I knew it would be successful.
THank you, XXXX
you may need fresh Investigation
I have read your query and seen reports.
you may need further fresh investigation like CT scan with contrast and if possible MRI.
EMG NCV study will help in diagnosis of any nerve compression.
Epidural steroid shot may help till time.
If possible you can take matrix therapy.
Revision surgery can be done if severe nerve root compression is seen.
I hope I have answered your questions. If you have further questions please feel free to contact us. I will be happy to answer. Take care.
Thank you, XXXX
Thats good that your post op investigations were normal.
Matrix therapy is a physiotherapy equipment which helps to relieve pain.
This machine transmits waves which enhances healing and reduces pain.
Yes you can take second opinion.
I hope I have answered your questions. If you have further questions please feel free to contact us. I will be happy to answer.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Trapezius paralysis causes
- Does exercise cause involuntary pubococcygeus muscle contraction
- Causes of involuntary muscle contractions
- Neurotransmitter that causes muscle contraction
- Trapezius muscle spasm causes
- Dizziness after neck surgery
- Muscle contraction causes
- What causes involantary calf muscle contractions
- Muscle contraction headaches causes
- Is burning sensation in neck caused due to pulled trapezius
- Having carpal tunnel in hands. Feeling difficulty in bending or...
- Having hip pain due to which lack of sleep. Suffering from cough at...
- Back pain that keeps increasing with the day, have tiredness and...
- Treatment for subcentral impaction fracture and hypo plastic trochlea...
- Moveable lump on elbow since skin peeling over the area, pain on...
- On physiotherapy, taken steroid injections, symptoms seem to be...
- Consistent back pain, have sedentary working style. Tips to reduce back...
- Having tingling in upper back and numbness in arm. What should I do?
- Knee pain, sharp twinges behind knee cap, occasional difficulty in...
- Chronic hip pain, joint pains. X-ray showed heal spur, MRI showed...