What causes muscle ache,dizziness and fever after inhalation of diesel fumes?

Question
Hello Doc;

I am a 60 yo male, relatively healthy. Yesterday I awoke to a normal day, I was cleaning my Bobcat (with it running) I must have breathed a lot of diesel CO. Later I started feeling different (muscles started aching, a little light-headed). At 5:00pm yesterday I had a bowl of soup, went to bed. My temp began rising (I don't to what extent - no thermometer). The fever broke early this morning (2:00 am), feeling better, but still really weak. Do you have any suggestions to my ailments?
Posted Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sounds like chemical pneumonitis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr. XXXXXXX

From the description I suspect you might have developed chemical pneumonitis (petroleum products when inhaled do cause pneumonia).

I would urge you to visit emergency and get a chest X-ray done to rule this out.

Unfortunately the treatment to chemical pneumonitis is only supportive, it takes a while for the fumes to get out of the lungs and you need to be provided adequate rest, supplemental oxygen if needed. Antibiotics are indicated if secondary infection develops.

I hope you understand the severity, please do make a visit to your nearest emergency care and get yourself evaluated completely.

I hope this information will help you.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Kind regards,