What causes mucus stuck in between throat and nose?

Excellent
Question
I have been feeling like i have mucus stuck between throat and nose, in the roof of my mouth. Today I blew my nose and out came a huge ball of semi-dried mucus mixed in with some blood. I have never seen anything like that before, what could the cause be?
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Lizabeth Sloane 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details needed to assist possible diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to A.D.A.M. I am pleased to assist you. I would like you to provide a full medical history and additional details on your condition. Please tell me which antibiotic you have tried and what was the diagnosed condition that the prescription was given for?
Just having a large amount of mucous combined with the dryness produced with congestion can result in traumatized, bleeding membranes. You may just have had a large accumulation that needed to be discharged. Are you taking any decongestant and mucous reducing medication such as Mucinex? Respiratory conditions causing symptoms in the sinus, throat and oral cavity often combine. Keep well hydrated. Use alcohol free mouth rinses and saline sprays for your nose can have a soothing effect.
I am glad to to review more details and am available to assist you further. Thank you for your inquiry.

Follow-up: What causes mucus stuck in between throat and nose? 6 hours later
I started out with a sore throat, fever and chills, and headache. I could hardly talk or swallow because of the severe throat pain. Plus I felt incredibly tired. I saw a doctor at an urgent care center and was diagnosed with Pharyngitis and prescribed antibiotics. Before seeing a doctor, I was self-medicating with dayquill and nyquill.
I had been suffering from that stuck-mucus feeling, I sounded horrible. I feel way better now after the mucus discharge. However I still have the headache, feel a bit out of it and tired. Also, I don't have sinus problems. I get frequent colds, every other week really. But this one rattled me, especially because I still haven't recovered, a week later.

Answered by Dr. Lizabeth Sloane 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Time to heal needed, take anti-inflammarories

Detailed Answer:
You will need to continue on anti-inflammatory medications to help you feel better. Time is needed to let the body heal. Have you tried and taken Tylenol and Motrin while on the antibiotic? Try to stay on these anti-inflammatory medications at regular intervals if you start to feel the return of your symptoms as the medication wears off. Unless the physician did some additional testing to rule out causes, you may have a viral component or flu.
Most antibiotic prescriptions require a full week or longer, taken at regular intervals, to be effective. Usually bacterial conditions will respond, but with a great deal of mucous, expect a longer time to fully recuperate. Resistant infections can require a change in antibiotics or another stronger dose. Viruses, often, just need time. Continue to treat your symptoms and keep hydrated. Follow a diet with good nutrition and balanced vitamins, especially B12. Having frequent colds suggest you may be run down and with a weakened immune system. You may be prone to recurring bouts. Reduce stresses and consider factors in your lifestyle. You may have infected, weakened glands and require further evaluation by your physician. For instance, tonsilitis, may require removal of the tonsils, to clear up a chronic situation when medication does not make you feel better. Your dental health can contribute if an undiagnosed infection is present. Make sure you have had a recent dental exam. Simple blood tests can help diagnose deficiencies and high white blood cell counts can indicate an active, chronic infection. Follow up with your physician if your condition lingers and does not improve in another week.
I am glad you feel better and feel there is a good chance you will continue to improve. Continue to monitor and share all your concerns with your doctor. I am glad to assist further.

Follow-up: What causes mucus stuck in between throat and nose? 2 hours later
Ok, thanks. I know about my weak immune system, will work on it. And yes, I take aleve and that helps. Thanks again.

Answered by Dr. Lizabeth Sloane 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue rest, consider Mononucleosis disease

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for providing me the additional information.

I hope the Aleve will help reduce your symptoms and you will continue to feel better. Keep in mind, the combination of symptoms could reflect a systemic disease such as mononucleosis. If your condition does not resolve, make sure you return to the physician for a thorough physical with blood tests. Please continue to follow my earlier suggestions and give your body plenty of rest.

I am glad to continue to assist you with your concerns. If you are finished with your questions, please close the session. I appreciate your responses and would appreciate if you would take the time to rate our session.

Regards and best wishes to a quick return to good health.