What causes mucus in throat with coughing and difficulty breathing?

Dr. Rahul Tawde

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: continuous mucus accumulation causing coughs, difficulty breathing. mucus is concentrated in throat/chest (not coming from nose), hard to breath when sleeping on back
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Evaluation for Obstructive Airway Disease

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for posting your concern in the HCM.
From the information stated above, I think you may have obstructive airway disease, probably COPD.
I need further information to come to a specific diagnosis.
1. Do you have fever, chills, chest pain, breathing difficulty?
2. Have you ever had blood in sputum?
3. What is the colour of your sputum now?
4. Do you have cough or fever for more than 2 weeks?
5. Do you have any chronic medical illness?
6. Do you have a past history of similar episodes?
7. Is your symptom related to seasonal variation?
Please mention these in your follow up reply for any further questions.
For the time being, my recommendations are-
1. Pulmonary function test should be done.
2. Blood for complete blood count including ESR, urea, creatinine, and sputum for microscopic examination for gram stain & AFB
3. Chest Xray- PA view.
4. You may take Mucinac tablet 600 mg once daily for 7 days.
5. You should continue with the inhaled medicines prescribed by your doctor.
6. Antibiotics may be needed depending upon the reports.
7. Steam inhalation and gurgle with lukewarm water should be done twice daily.
8. Avoid bulky meals and spices, carbonated beverages
9. Plenty of oral fluid (3 to 4 l/day)
You should also consult your local chest physician for clinical examination.
If you are satisfied with my answer please close the thread and rate my answer. For any further questions, please write back.
Dr. Kaushik
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Tawde 16 hours later
chest pain sometimes, breathing difficulty mostly when sleeping

2. Have you ever had blood in sputum?
No

sometimes green, sometimes colorless

cough, for too long

Diabetes type 2 (under control) , cholesterol level was high (now under control)

the current episode has taken too long... nothing similar occurred previously

cold weather increases it

* spices do increase the symptoms

blood analysis done: (not sure if related to the case)
F. Blood Glucose 101 H mg/dl
Glycosylated 6.1%
S.HDL Cholesterol 39 mg/dl
S.LDL Cholesterol 68 L mg/dl
S.T.Cholesterol 125 L mg/dl
S.Triglycerides 89 mg/dl

I'm working on getting the x-rays from the hospital so I can upload it
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
COPD with Intermittent Exacerbation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your detailed reply.
From the information stated above, my provisional diagnosis is COPD with intermittent exacerbation. However, causes like Pulmonary TB, or any cavitating lesion must be ruled out. The Xray Chest PA will help me out. However, to exclude TB or any other infection, microscopic examination of the sputum is necessary.

I would also suggest you to change your inhalers. A combination inhaler (MDI) approved by FDA, Salmeterol+Fluticasone (marketed as Seroflo) may be taken as 2 puffs twice daily for at least 1 year or further advice. You may take IVAX or any other Salbutamol inhaler, at the time of acute exacerbation, for 2 puffs 3 to 4 times per day. After symptoms of acute exacerbation's are relieved, you can stop that.
You should also perform Steam Inhalations twice daily.
Mucinac 600 mg tablet may be taken for thick mucus once daily for 10 days.
Have a Pulmonary function test done and consult your local pulmonologist regarding the need for chest physiotherapy or Pulmonary rehabilitation and necessity of antibiotic treatment.
Your diabetes is also well under control. That is good and necessary.
Please write back for any additional information.
If you are satisfied with the answer and have no additional questions, please close the thread and rate my answer.
Dr. Kaushik

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju