What causes mucus in menstrual blood and cramps after discontinuing breastfeeding?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Hello, I have 15 month old baby. Been breastfeeding until a little over 2 weeks ago. I got my period back when he was 9 months old. That one was heavy then they were really light for a couple months after that. 3 months ago I started trying to wean. Cutting out feeds etc. then they got heavier and more normal. This month though 1st period without breastfeeding at all. 1st day light day 2-3 heavy day 4-5 light. However today (day 6) I have blood tinged mucus and mild cramps. Is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
POST WEANING MENSTRUAL PATTERN

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to healthcare magic for an opinion,
I would like to assure you that the bleeding pattern which you have experienced this month following completion of weaning or stoppage of breast feeding is absolutely normal. Infact the menstrual bleed in the initial 2 months may extend for an extra 2-3 days beyond the normal menstrual days as earlier simply because the prolactin levels as have just gone done( after stopping breast feeding) and the normal oestrogen levels would need sometime to re-establish the balance.
This blood tinged mucous and mild cramps is an extension of the menstrual period and should be just observed for next few days. This pattern shall change within next 1-2 months. once hormone levels reinstate to pre-pregnancy levels.

I hope i have answered your query in detail,
Wishing you good health,
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 18 hours later
Thank You!!! So I should start loosing the breastfeeding weight soon. I only gained 22lbs during pregnancy lost every pound by the time I was out of hospital. Then gained 20lbs. I did the same thing with my 7 year old. You think my estrogen and hormones should be back to normal soon? My appetite has dropped dramatically.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you would loose weight but not immediately...

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up,

The weight gained post delivery during breast feeding shall noticeably be seen to be reduced only after 6 months or so and it would not completely rely on the hormones getting back to normal prepregnant state but shall also depend on the amount of calories you take and burn during the day. Exercises should form an important part of your schedule if you intend to loose weight sooner.
A decreased appetite though is not a feature of weaning. There is a possibility that you may have decreased thyroxine levels or simply have developed hypothyroidism ( DECREASED APPETITE AND INCREASED WEIGHT). if possible get a thyroid profile done to rule it out before resorting to daily exercises.
Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist