What causes mucus and bleeding from the anus?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: What can be causing mucus and a period-like bleeding from the anus? The blood is NOT in the stool, but in addition to it.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Further diagnostic tests are needed...

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Before running into final conclusions, I'd like to know if you are also having:
- fever?
- abdominal pain/cramps?
- constipation problems?

If you are having fever and abdominal pain, then, mucus and bleeding from anus is indicative for possible inflammatory/infectious bowel diseases (e.g. ulcerative colitis, bowel infections).

If no fever or abdominal pain, then, bleeding might be related to hemorrhoids (if you have had constipation problems recently).

At this point, you need to get further evaluated by GI specialist and to run diagnostic tests:
- culture of stool
- colonoscopy
- abdominal ultrasound
- complete blood work

Depending on the tests results, specific treatment will be prescribed. Once again, should go to ER or schedule an immediate appointment with GI specialist!

Dr.Albana
If anything unclear, do not hesitate to contact me!