question-icon

What causes movable lump on right side of collar bone?

Posted on Mon, 22 Dec 2014
Question: Hello, I have a near nickel sized, hard lump on my right collarbone. It moves a bit, right to left and up and down, when I push lightly on it. Does not seem to be firmly attached to anything. I'm a 47 year old female. (As I move my shoulder in certain ways I can feel the lump shift to above or below the collarbone.) Does this description indicate cancer? What should I do? Thank you. (It is not tender or painful.)
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga (4 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
thanks for sending the question.

I can appreciate that you are dealing with a worrisome symptoms but I would encourage you to remain optimistic that this might be a temporary swelling. Sometimes there can be inflammatory changes around the collarbone and shoulder that causes swelling similar to what you have described.

The additional concern in this type of case would be that this swelling might represent a swollen lymph node.I would recommend local therapy to the area with warm compresses for the next few days. Try not to press or squeeze the area. Observe this area for the next 7 to 10 days and if the symptoms persist or get any worse I would suggest that you visit with your primary care physician for a good consultation and focused clinical examination.

I want to reassure you that most presentations such as these are not cancer but we must still remain vigilant in observing follow up. If this completely resolves on its own that no additional testing would be recommended but if it persists or gets larger than your doctor might request or suggest a biopsy.

sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist