What causes mouth ulcers while on Valganciclovir?

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Infections
Question: I am being treated for Mono. Tested positive for Epstein Barr. Dr. put me on Valganciclovir and have taken it for 3 1/2 weeks. I noticed on Thursday that I have a cut or sore on my upper gum behind my molar. It is causing a lot of discomfort in my jaw and even tenderness in my lower jaw. I started to do a warm salt rinse today and now have done two rinses with hydrogen peroxide and warm water. I noticed that the medication causes mouth ulcers or sores. Is this related? I have no fever, however have developed a slight sore throat, which is a new development.
I have stopped taking the Valganciclovir as of Friday. My blood tests are now in normal range. White blood cell count is normal. Lymphocytes are still elevated but my Igg has not converted to an Igm yet. I am hoping this is a side effect of the medication, or could this be a secondary infection from the Mono?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is not a secondary infection from the mono..

Detailed Answer:
Hi and sorry to hear aboutthis mouth sore that you have mentioned.

This is unlikely to be related to a secondary mono infection. I will not call it a side effect of ganciclovir as this is not a commonly reported side effect. for now,let's treat it as a simple mouth sore,/canker sore. Continue rinsing with a mouth wash solution to prevent any further infection.

IgG doesn't relate to an ongoing infection but means you have had this infection some time in the past. What I would have been concerned about is IgM and not IgG.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah