What causes mouth ulcers, body and joint pain while on Diltiazem and Nicorandil?
My father has Coronary Artery Disease and he has been taking following medications for about five years: diltiazem, enalapril and nicorandil. His heart condition is under control but he is having severe side effects. Most common side effects that he has are body aches, joint pain, headache, loss of appetite, mouth ulcers, intestinal ulcers and bleeding, and heartburn. Last year, he had an episode of severe intestinal bleeding and had to transfuse blood.
When I read about the above medications, I found the side effects are associate with them. Are there alternative medications to above medications that have less side effects?
yes there are other medications
I am sorry your father has been having so many problems. The most likely medication to cause the mouth ulcers, heartburn and bleeding is the nicorandil. An alternative medication like isordil could be tried.
Diltiazem also is associated with many side effects and a similar drug with less side effects would be amlodipine.
The enalapril does not have many side effects so I would keep that one the same. His doctor will probably want to change just one drug at a time and see if his side effects resolve.
I would suggest changing the nicorandil to either isordil or to a beta blocker (there are many) and see how he does with this change.
Then later if he is still having side effects consider changing the diltiazem as well
I hope he is feeling better soon,
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Common causes mouth ulcers
- What causes mouth ulcers uric acid
- What causes mouth ulcers in soft palate
- What causes chronic mouth ulcers
- Sperm cause mouth ulcer
- Marvelon causing mouth ulcers
- What causes multiple mouth ulcers
- What causes mouth ulcers in babies
- What causes mouth ulcers and numb lips
- What can cause mouth ulcers
- What causes gas, stomach gurgling and fullness in upper chest?
- Is it not safe to have Amoxicillin for heart murmur?
- Suggest treatment for constipation and tenderness on the sides
- Suggest treatment for Angioedema and severe swelling in limbs and face
- Suggest treatment for soft stool
- What causes hair loss?
- Suggest treatment for fever, sore throat, cough and diarrhea
- Suggest treatment for severe pain due to arthritis in spine and both hands
- Can Requip and Sinemet be taken together?
- What causes gritty, white discharge during urination?