What causes mouth ulcer like lump on tongue?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi
I could find a small button like a mouth ulcer on my aunt's tounge but she has no pain which worries me a lot. Kindly advise whether this could be an oral cancer if not what could be this and how to treat it.
Posted Fri, 15 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need more information.

Detailed Answer:
I have seen your aunt's tongue picture .
There are three main possibilities
1) Tongue cancer
2) Dental trauma
3) Aphthous ulcer
I would like to known whether your aunt's have any history of tobacco use in any form in past , dental trauma to tongue , since how many days this ulcer present whether increasing in size , any neck lymph node present & painless while eating meal .
If I were your treating doctor, I would advice you biopsy of tongue ulcer for histopathological examination, Antiseptic Mouth Wash & Vitamin C.
Hope this information helpful to you .If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Thanks.

Follow-up: What causes mouth ulcer like lump on tongue? 31 minutes later
Thank you for your quick response. I have provided more details below answering your questions

She doesn't use tobacco.
I have no idea on dental trauma to tongue.
This ulcer is present for more than 2 weeks.
No neck lymph node
No pain while eating

The below prescription was given by the local doctor which she has started from today.

Zytee pain gel
Gafercal
Apinac S
Esfix Of
Omegates.

Please advise.

Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most important is biopsy of tongue.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up query.
I would advice your aunt's , biopsy of tongue ulcer for histopathological examination, Antiseptic Mouth Wash like Triguard & Vitamin C.
Stop Apinac S no need you can take other .
Most important is biopsy of tongue ulcer for histopathological examination to know the diagnosis since there is no pain while eating.
Here my suggestion is that you should consult your ENT doctor for thorough examination, necessary investigations and treatment.
Thanks.