What causes mouth sores?

Dr. Venkat Sivayogi

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Infections
Question: Hello. Am experiencing MANY sores inside my mouth. On the inside of my lip, top and bottom and cheek lining. Thought I might have leprosy of the mouth. First bits of research indicated bruxism. Tried rinsing with watered down peroxide. Didn't see much for results. It seemed to responded well to a vitamin B super complex and Lysine supplement.
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I have outlined various possibilities...

Detailed Answer:
welcome to Healthcare Magic,

From the given clinical history the problem you are facing is termed as Apthous Stomatitis. Apthous ulcers are very common problems encounterd in OP clinic.
Causes of Apthous stomatitis include :- Excessive stress, Dental injuries -During sleep or Due to Dental implants, Poor oral Hygiene, Decreased immunity levels during fever or some other illness, Some times there will be no reason at all.

What we should concern is , if you have recurrent aphthous stomatitis then there will be a possibility of connective tissue diseases. Once in a while problem may not signify any thing.

Treatment include, maintaining good oral hygiene and frequent mouth wash containing Chlorhexidine, application of a gel containing Triamcinolone thrice a day will reduce the symptoms.

Follow up: Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 3 hours later
Sorry. I forgot to include two little blister like sores on the tip of my tongue. VERY tender.
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tip of tongue is common site for aphthous ulcers

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,

Yes, Aphthous ulcerations can involve Tongue, oral mucosa, Palate, and throat .
Pain and some times fever is the main symptoms.
So the treatment will be same.