What causes motion sickness and excessive sweating indicate?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 24 Jul 2018 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Motion sickness and excessive sweating in a s/p cervical car accident 38 y.o paralyzed woman
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Flunnarizine or meclizine may be tried for the motion sickness.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Of course it might be useful to have some medical reports or MRI images. I guess images are difficult to obtain your niece being in South XXXXXXX but reports may be obtained through internet.

Speaking in general I would say that those symptoms are to be expected in a severe cervical trauma as this seems to be. The neck is involved in balance through cervical nerves which provide information on head and neck position which is important for balance. So damage to the spine and nerves as well as the surrounding inflammation and muscle spasms after the trauma lead to those symptoms. With time at least a partial improvement is expected, in the meantime medication like flunnarizine or meclizine may be of help.

Excessive sweating is also a common symptom due to damage to the autonomous nervous system. Unfortunately there aren't any really effective medication for that, but it's still early, there could be some improvement with time.

2 months is still very early to give up hope, improvement is expected up to 12 months after the trauma, in some young individuals such as your niece even beyond that period.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 41 hours later
EXCELLENT!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You're welcome! Hope she gets better soon.

Detailed Answer: