• question-icon

What causes mood swings while on Vancomycin?

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: My daughter is on 500 mg iv vancomycin 3x daily. She has been on it 4 weeks today. I've noticed changes in her moods. She's very emotional and over reacts about almost everything. She cries and gets very upset about almost any question or redirection I give her
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mood change is one of the side effects of vancomycin

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic,

I have gone through your question and I understand your concern for your daughter.

Mood changes, a rare but possible side effect of vancomycin. Along with that, the added stress of illness and treatment can cause frustrations and mood changes in young children.

Since your daughter has been on vancomycin for 4 weeks, I believe that she is being treated for a virulent bacterial infection.

So the best choice is to continue vancomycin as scheduled. The benefits of treatment with vancomycin outweigh its side effects.

The good news is that once the vancomycin is discontinued, the mood changes will go away and she will be her self again.

I would also recommend that you inform everyone around her to be patient and receptive. Communicating clearly and giving her chance to convey her emotions can greatly help.

Hope this answers your question
Please feel free to address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal