What causes mood swings, irritability, lack of motivation, loss of interest and distraction?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Hello. My name is XXXXXXX I have been taking wellbutrin for almost 7 years 300mg/day. I have noticed that it does not seem to be doing the same thing it use to. I have also noticed that I am more "moody" as my wife says. I can go from happy to irritated seemingly easier than I feel I should. I also am having trouble with my motivation. I will do what needs done, but don't have any drive to do anything extra. IE hobbies. And at work I have to keep up with several different jobs/processes and have been noticing that some days are better than others. I can get distracted on my current task and find myself trying to finish one from earlier or simply adding another task without finishing the first ones.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dose of Wellbutrin can be increased.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from Healthcaremagic.com

I can understand your concern. You are taking Wellbutrin for about 7 years and recently you have noticed that you've become moody and are getting irritated on small things. Poor motivation, lack of any drive or interest in hobbies, poor focus in work etc are probably due to persistent depression. This should be evaluated.

One option is to increase the dose of Wellbutrin to 450 mg per day. Increased doses will help in better control of symptoms. Other option is to add some another drug to your prescription. Low dose SSRIs like Escitalopram or Citalopram can be added to your prescription and you will definitely feel better. Escitalopram in dose of 5-10 mg if added will help in controlling your symptoms. You can talk with your doctor regarding either of options I have suggested. This will help in remission of symptoms.

Thanks. Take care

You are welcome to ask follow up doubts.
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 7 minutes later
the last time I mentioned anything like this to my Dr I was told that I was taking the top dosage, and the only way to do more is to take multiple times a day. that is not feasible for my life. would changing to a different med.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
150 in morning and 300 in evening can be given.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

If your doctor agrees then Wellbutrin 150 mg one tablet in morning and 2 in evening can be given. This will help in better symptoms control.

Other option is to add some another medicines which Ive mentioned in last answer. Both of these options are good and you can choose as per your convenience.

Thanks.