What causes monilial esophagitis during steroid therapy?

Nephrologist
Question
I recently had a egd done and they said I had monoilial esophagitis. I thought I had a light case in my mouth a month back but went away on own if it was that. Can you have in esophagus but no where else Iike mouth? Why would I have that anyways? I don't have HIV or diabetes. I have been on 20 Mgs of predinose for three months could that cause it? I also had a shot of penicillin a while back? Thanks
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Monilial Esophagitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

Fungal infection of the esophagus is very common when on steroid therapy. Steroid therapy suppresses the immune system.
Most often fungal infections occur in the esophagus and not in the mouth because mouth is well protected by the saliva, saliva has germicidal properties and also we tend to brush our teeth regularly which also takes care of the germs.

Fungal esophagitis is easily treatable and patients recover very well from it. Please continue taking the prescribed anti fungal agent.

I hope I was of help

I wish you good health and a speedy recovery