What causes mobility impairment and memory loss when diagnosed with Guillain-Barre syndrome?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am suffering from two things.
1) My husband died from Cancer in Sept
2) I have been disgnosed with a nerve disorder (Guillian Barr) that is limiting my mobility and I have significant memory loss

I forgot to say that I have seen a neurologist. He diagnosed the nerve disorder. I am going to a rehabilitation place called NovaCare twice a week and I have some exercise machines at home. There has been significant improvement in my hand and feet motion. My question is which incident is causing the difficulties i.e. physical or psychological, or both?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Guillain Barre is a condition which affects peripheral nerves. It does not affect the brain. So it is responsible for the mobility issues but doesn't have any effect on the memory issues. It fully justifies mobility difficuties, that part is not psychological.

As for the possible connection of memory loss with psychological issues....in itself psychological issues like anxiety and depression do not cause memory loss. However it is common that they mimic it by affecting concentration and motivation. Concentration issues affect registering information and hence they may mimic memory loss.

I remain at your disposal for other questions