question-icon

What causes mite infestation from dogs?

Posted on Mon, 18 May 2015
Question: My back has been itchy for more than two weeks. Nothing else on my body is itchy. I was in XXXXXXX florida and my girlfriend has tow dogs. one is a XXXXXXX Russel and the other is a greyhound. One sleeps in the bed and the other one on top. The XXXXXXX Rusell use to sleep on my side. Fi9nally I got the dog out of the bed, I was fine until I went to florida to stay with her, her apartment was fifthly.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Permethrin

Detailed Answer:
Hello
There are chances that you got a mite infestation from dogs. These are microscopic hence you won't be able to see anything.

I suggest you try apply permethrin ointment. A single overnight application will help you. In addition you may take an antihistamine such as benadryl to relieve itch.

Let me know if you have any other doubts.

Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist