What causes missed periods even after meprate usage?

Question

I am an unmarried 27 year old .
I missed my periods last month and doctor put me on a dose of meprate 10mg 3times a day for 5 days.
I stopped my last dose on last monday(7th July). It has been 9 days after I stopped the dose and have not got my periods.
Is it a matter of concern ? When should I expect my periods ?
Posted Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The absence of periods after taking meprate 10mg 3 times a day for 5 days can be due to PCOS or thyroid hormone disturbances.
The following causes need to be ruled out :-
1. Thyroid hormone deficiency- A simple blood test will help in excluding hypothyroidism.
2. Side effect of the medicine Meprate 10 you have taken. This medicine itself causes a delay in periods sometimes.
3. Severe anemia- Get your hemoglobin levels checked.
4. Ultrasound scan to rule out PCOS.
You need a thorough evaluation by a Gynecologist as there are various causes for this delay in periods and they can be ruled out only after a Physical Examination and detailed investigations. Once the cause is confirmed, you will be treated accordingly.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow-up: What causes missed periods even after meprate usage? 1 hour later
Thanks.
I have few more questions.
If I have PCOS or hypothyroidism and took meprate , still I wont get my periods ?
How many more days should I wait before going to a gynecologist ?

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can wait for 5 days more.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
In case of PCOS or thyroid imbalance the periods will not start with only meprate. The hormonal imbalance needs to be corrected first to get the periods. You can wait for 5 more days for your periods and then consult a gynecologist.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: What causes missed periods even after meprate usage? 28 hours later
Hello Doctor,

I did an ultrasound scan and my endometrium thickness is 12.1mm
Its my 10th day after having meprate.
Also the report says bilateral poly cyst ovaries.
Is the endometrial thickness normal ?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggests luteal phase.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Endometrium thickness of 12.1mm suggests a luteal phase. It is normal thickness. The late periods are due to the polycystic ovaries which causes hormonal imbalance. It is best to start with oral contraceptive pills to regularize your periods.
Regards.

Follow-up: What causes missed periods even after meprate usage? 3 minutes later
Thanks Doctor.

I have couple of more queries.
My doctor prescribed me oral contraceptives once my periods starts , for 3 cycles.
Since I had skipped a period last month, she first told me to take meprate 10mg 3 times a day for 5 days, but today being the 10th day , as mentioned, I have not got periods.
So should I wait for some more days before visiting doctor ?
I mean after luteal phase, how soon can I expect my periods ?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wait for 7-10 days.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
After the luteal phase the bleeding usually starts in 7-10 days. Since you are an unmarried girl you can wait for a week more and then start with the oral contraceptive pills.
Regards.