What causes missed period post miscarriage?

Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello, on the 23rd of July i had a miscarriage, stopped bleeding the following weds, was 100% ovulating on the 31st july and 1st sept, did have sex on those 2 days. If my dates are correct then i should of come on my period 2 weeks after ovulating which would of been sunday or yesterday. I still havnt come on, and getting slight pains down bellow and have been for a week. I did a pregnancy test on sunday that was negative. Just want some advice please?
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Delayed periods

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Greetings
If you had miscarriage on 23rd July,you won't be ovulating on 31st Aug and 1st of September.
Even if bleeding stopped it will take more than 12 to 14 days to ovulate.That also depends up on period of pregnancy and abortion you had it now.
Some times it will take more times to ovulate.
Hence I think you should wait again ,either to test for pregnancy or for periods.
Hope you are convinced. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 13 minutes later
I completely agree with you and understand what you are saying but I did an ovulation tests on both days and came back positive, and then on the tuesday and ever since the ovulation tests came back negative so i am just so confused! And what would you make of the pains lower down that i am getting? So when exactly do you think i should be expecting my period?
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Delayed periods

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Since you had recent miscarriage,your ovulation test was positive .As I told you, it depends on the hcg hormone level at the time of abortion.
You can wait for 5 to 7 days .If no periods you can repeat the test with early morning urine sample or scan.Pain may be premenstrual cramps.

Follow up: Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 49 minutes later
Thank you for your advice. I had a blood test 2 days afte miscarriage and went down to 200 hcg. r
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Delayed periods

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Exactly, and that was the reason for positive ovulation test.