What causes missed period despite being on Duphaston?
I had pcod frm last one year...and my periods very regularly but suddenly my periods became irregular in the mnth on XXXXXXX 2015...i got my periods in 12 march and my gync adviced for hsg test and I had done it on 19 march and everhng was normal....and she prescribed me duphaston to take it from 16th day of my periods start I.e 27th of march and I have not got my periods on 12th aprial are der any chances of getting preg? And she as prescribed me to do ultro sound before periods and suprisingly I found that I dnt have pcod now the result was normal....can I get preg now?
Yes you can get pregnant
Hi XXXXX, I have gone through the question and understand your concerns.
Polycystic ovarian disease (PCOD) is said to occur in a patient when 2 out of the following three conditions are met:
1. Polycystic ovaries on ultrasound
2. irregular or no ovulation,leading to irregular periods for a long duration (not for one or two cycles)
3. excessive androgen hormone in body (excesive hair growth on face, abdomen and thighs, acne)
It is unlikely that you had PCOD until 2 of these 3 criteria were present. Only polycystic ovaries on ultrasound is a common finding and do not lead to hormonal disturbance. It can thus resolve over time if not associated with PCOD. You have chances of getting pregnant as your tubes are patent on HSG. Even a patient of PCOD has the chances of getting pregnant if proper treatment is given.
Since you are taking duphastone, which is a progesterone, it can delay your period because of the hormonal effect.
I would suggest you to get a urine pregnancy test done as your periods are delayed, if positive then further management should be done accordingly.
If the urine pregnancy test is negative, then you should wait for at least 7-10 days after stopping the duphastone.
Moreover, I would suggest you to get your thyroid and prolactin hormone levels checked as these are common causes of irregular periods.
Hope you found the answer helpful. Please do get back for further management.
Wishing you good health.
Dr Deepti Verma
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Duphaston cause late period for 38years old
- What is the cause for bleeding when on duphaston
- Could oral duphaston cause missed abortion
- Duphaston can cause missed abortion
- What causes amenorrhea even after duphaston
- Duphaston dydrogesterone cause period delay
- Can duphaston cause delay of the period
- Duphaston missed dose will cause problem
- Duphaston cause missed period
- Duphaston missed cause periods late