What causes missed menstruations and spotting after removing Mirena IUD?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Mon, 16 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: For the last 2 months my period has come on time but only spotting when I wipe. I took a pregnancy test last month and it was negative. It ends when it's after 6 days as normal. I did have a mirena iud removed about 9 months ago which I had 2 for a total of 10 years. No other problems I am 35 years old
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I don't seem any cause for concern, reasons could be 2

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Such changes can be expected for 2 reasons:

1. You were on the mirena for a total of 10 years, which is a really long time and so you can expect irregularities; although you are not experiencing any in your cycle duration, but with the flow

2. The second possible cause or added cause could be the fact that you were on the mirena for 10 years which can have some impact on the cycle, causing it to result in an early onset of pre-menopausal symptoms as well

In my opinion, as long as your cycle appears on time and lasts for the normal duration there should be nothing to worry about. Please stop worrying and go about life as usual. I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 29 minutes later
Ok thank you. I also have some dryiness also
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Are you talking about vaginal dryness?

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

Dryness where? In the vaginal region? Does this cause discomfort during sexual intercourse?

Vaginal dryness can also be associated with menopause or pre-menopause, or it may have something to do with your Bartholin's gland (which is associated with production of lubrication for the vagina).

But as we were discussing the possibilities of an early-onset of pre-menopausal symptoms, your report on vaginal dryness brings us closer to that suspicion.

So I would request you to visit your doctor and go abiut a few tests, and also request your doctor for a prescription to help you deal with the vaginal dryness (only if it is posing to be a problem).

I hope I have explained things in a manner best understood by you. Please do not hesitate to write back to me for any further help, I am always here for you.

Best wishes.