What causes minor sore throat post protected intercourse?

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Sexual Health
Question: Hi doctor,
7 days ago, I have slept with a stranger I met in a bar. we had protected vaginal sex and unprotected oral sex ( only as a the receiver). the next day i had a minor sore throat I assumed it was due to her being a smoker since saliva was exchanged. however, 4 later i started to have a fever and coughing in addition to the sore throat. then yesterday ( 6th day) during lunch i passed out on the floor for 20 seconds woke up all sweaty and apparently peed myself. after 5 min of regaining conscious, the fever was completely gone and sore throat and coughing greatly reduced. my question is would it be fine to postpone std test for 3 weeks since im traveling with my family which i prefer not to inform them i slept with a stranger. And is there an STD that causes Fainting only after 6 days.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely streptococcal sore throat.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. Most likely your problem can be due to streptococcal sore throat. This can give severe tiredness fever and fainting. Proper antibiotic therapy will be helpful to clear this.
Have you taken any antibiotics. ?.
If there is no symptoms now then you can postpone your STD test after 3 weeks. STDs usually doesn't cause such sore throat and fainting.
Gonorrhea can give sore throat. But it won't be that severe to cause fainting. You should have only protected sex till you test and be sure that you are free from STDs.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina