What causes milky white vaginal discharge during pregnancy?

Posted on Wed, 2 Nov 2016 in Accident and Emergency
Question: Hi doctor. I have an fungal infection and was prescribed by a doctor to use a vaginal pessary. I am 15 weeks pregnant. I feel a lot of discharge coming out like milky discharge. Something I'm walking and I feel like gush or a lump of discharge white coming out and since it's my first pregnancy I get really worried. Yesterday I felt abit of water coming out and I feel like scared what if it's the amniotic fluid? This morning went on the scale and my weight has dropped by a kilo and a half. So I'm worried I don't have any abdominal pains or anything or no bleeding just abit concerned I hope everything is ok. Last week I fell on my bum but I don't think that affected it as said by previous doctors. Pls help
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not likely to cause any problem.

Detailed Answer:
The feeling of water coming out can be due to the vaginal infection or due to the impact of falling on the bum. An ultrasound scan will help in confirming that everything is alright inside.
The decrease in body weight during the first trimester can happen due to excessive vomiting. This weight is regained in second and third trimester as the vomiting decreases.
Falling on the bum is not likely to cause any serious problem. But it is best to get yourself examined by a gynecologist to be sure.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 26 minutes later
Hi I don't have any vomitting or anything at all since I have fallen pregnant I haven't had any vomitting at all. Yes I spoke to my gynacologist I had just been for a scan 2 days before my fall. I fell last week, so it's been about a week since I have fallen I don't have any sickness or anything. It's just a lot of water and discharge. I have no bleeding no abdominal pains nothing I feel normal. The gynacologist I had spoken to had said I must not go for a scan if I don't have any bleeding or no pains. I was just concerned about the water as I thought could it be water bursting? And then the weight. I was like 62, and this morning 60 so was worried how I dropped 2 kilos
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to leakage of amniotic fluid.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
A sudden decrease in weight and a lot of watery discharge can be due to leakage of amniotic fluid. This can only be confirmed after a physical examination and an ultrasound scan.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon