What causes mild vaginal spotting during pregnancy?

Dr. Zenab Tambawala

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: Had spotting and went in for a vaginal scan in 7th week. The heartbeat was normal and the doc said the sac may have collapsed. Should repeat the scan in a week. Will it lead to miscarriage?
Answered by Dr. Zenab Tambawala 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not likely, as heart beat is a good finding.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,
Welcome to HCM,

Once a heart beat is present on ultrasound scan it has a less than 5% chance of miscarriage.

Mild spotting is common in early pregnancy, so do not worry a lot, as stress and anxiety itself can cause problems.

Irregular sac is a subjective finding and does not give a definite indication about the pregnancy, but presence of heart beat is definitely a positive find.

You should repeat scan after 7-10 days and this will confirm that every thing is fine with the baby.

Continue folic acid till then and stay positive.

Hope this helps.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Zenab Tambawala 8 minutes later
Thank you so much doctor. The CRL measured is .5cm. And I'm in the 7th week. The doctor said that the sac is small. Will this affect the baby ?
Answered by Dr. Zenab Tambawala 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Don't worry

Detailed Answer:
It's too early to say anything. Even if sac is small now, but the growth of the baby is as expected and fetal heart is good then you need not worry.

Every baby has its own pace of growth.

But if you have repeated spotting or bleeding then that could be worrisome.

At present it does not look worrisome.

Hope this helps.
Regards.