What causes mild swelling without pain in the upper quadrant?

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have slight swelling without pain in my upper right quadrant. There is slight pressure when bending over. This started a few days ago.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please have an ultrasound done.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such swelling and pressure can be caused by gallstones. Especially if this has started after some foods intake. There may be some discomfort also in the back along with lac of appetite and nausea.
If you have had any surgical scar in this area, hernia can be the case. The swelling should be more visible when standing and less visible when lying down.

I suggest you to start with abdominal ultrasound.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 40 hours later
Thank you for your answer. I was recently diagnosed with Non Alcoholic Liver disease. does this feeling of swelling have anything to do with this. and does this feeling go away. will it happen from time to time? what am i to expect?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound is necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Non alcoholic liver disease usually does not give pain or swelling visible outside the abdominal body. So I do not think this is the reason. Its hard to tell what you should expect not having proper diagnosis. That is why please have an ultrasound done.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon