What causes mild rise in cholesterol and liver enzymes?
My lipid profile recently showed normal values in almost all aspects except Cholestrol (242) and SGOT (65) SGPT (73) My diet is extremely sensible and I do strength training plus cardio 4-5 times a week. I do not have hard liquor and alcohol is restricted to 1 glass of wine per week.
Why are my cholestrol, SGOT & SGPT values abnormal?
Can be due to many factors.
Thanks for posting your query.
The mild rise in cholesterol and liver enzymes can be due to an increase in body weight, sedentary lifestyle, increase in saturated fat intake, decreased fiber intake, genetic factors or age related.
Smoking and diet related factors can cause impaired cholesterol levels. The fatty liver can cause a mild rise in liver enzymes.
These levels are not so high that medication is required. Neither is it so high, that it cannot be reduced by diet control and physical activity.
In the long run,high cholesterol can of course, lead to heart disease and hypertension.
You are still in a state from where diet and exercise can cause these to reduce.
At present, here are some points to remember:
Avoid a high fatty, carbohydrate diet.
See a dietcian for a suitable diet plan.
Drink plenty of water to flush out all toxins from the body.
At least 30 min of physical activity daily. It could be walking or jogging. Play a game. Whatever suits you.
Keep monitoring your blood pressure.
You should get re tested after 3 months so that your levels can be monitored. That way you will find out if your current plan is working.
Keep a calm mind. There is not any need to panic.
Regular doctor's visits are recommended.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Thanks for your reply.
I exercise 4-5 times per week (strength & cardio)
I do not smoke.
I only have 1 glass of wine on weekends.
i do not touch fatty / fried foods.
I drink 3-4 liters of water daily.
In short, i already follow all your advice for over 1 year now. none of the above factors could be causing the increased Liver Enzyme values.
Some more information :
My Triglycerides are on a healthy level of 122
My Blood Sugar is also under control at 79
Since i do strength training in the gym, could heavy weight lifting be the culprit?
I read that over training could trigger imbalanced SGOT / SGPT levels
Get a repeat test after 8 weeks.
Thanks for writing again.
Heavy weight lifting can cause a mild rise in SGOT/PT but it will not affect serum cholesterol levels. It is good that you are already following a healthy lifestyle. It is better to get a repeat test done after 8 weeks and see the trends. Such a mild rise can be due to liver inflammation or hepatitis. Do get yourself checked for hepatitis also.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Low cholesterol high liver enzymes
- Can high cholesterol cause elevated liver enzymes
- What causes elevated liver enzymes and enlarged spleen
- Elevated liver enzymes and low cholesterol
- What causes increase in liver enzymes
- Ldl cholesterol liver enzymes
- Can appendicitis cause rise in liver enzymes
- High cholesterol and high liver enzymes
- Cholesterol thyroid and liver enzymes
- Low cholesterol and liver enzymes
- Swollen legs, dark patches. Have stasis dermatitis and OCD. Will I be...
- Difficulty maintaining erection, discomfort in right testicle. Should I...
- Would anesthesia used to make a patient unconscious cause hand tremor?
- Black or brown freckles on penis, flat, no discomfort. Is this normal?
- What could red spots on hairline mean?
- Testicle swollen huge and hurts to touch. Why?
- Sudden awakening from sleep, heart racing, high blood pressure, ringing...
- What kind of cancer is it when colonoscopy shows a malignant mass in...
- Itching vagina, discharge and bleeding during sex. Maybe bacterial...
- Have hypoglycemia. Want to try HCG diet. Is it safe?