What causes mild cramps in the lower legs?

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Feeling of mild cramp in right lower leg on lying down, feeling dissappears after a short walk. Its possible drinking water helps
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It may be due to musculoskeletal pain.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
As per your description, it looks like musculoskeletal pain.I prescribe Skeletal muscle relaxant containing Thiocolchicoside 4mg to my patients if the pain is severe.
As it is relieved on walking, nothing to worry.
If this problem continues,you should consult your doctor and get Colour doppler of the affected lower limb to see the vascular supply.
Low levels of Electrolyte like Potassium will also cause pain in the muscles. Instead of plain water,you can take Oral rehydration solution which helps .
Hope I answered your query.If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj