• question-icon

What causes mild contusion in the bladder?

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Had an appendectomy Thursday.Seemed to have went well but after eating and feeling ok went to urinate and it was straight blood. After awhile to get do back in room he said either they tore my bladder or bruised it. Did a XXXXXXX and Ct with die and came back and said it was a bruise no tear. The next morning the blood was gone from the urine. I also found out they had a complication during surgery where the found out there was a hernia in my groin. The had to stop surgery to get the air out of my scrotum before continuing. My questions are: I am still really filled with air and when I pee it seems to burn really bad behind the lowest incision. I also found out today that my testicles are really swollen. Should I keep trying to heal as normal or is there more of
A major issue going on
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Healing will happen in one to two weeks.

Detailed Answer:
Good day and thank you for being with health magic!

Did they do laparoscopic surgery? You may have suffered a mild contusion in your bladder during surgery that is why you had blood on your urine. If they placed a Foley catheter during surgery this may cause blood in the urine and pain on urination because of micro tears during insertion and removal of the catheter.

I would want to have a urinalysis because urinary tract infection can cause blood and pain in the urine.

I wouldn't worry too much and with a normal bladder CT SCAN I'm a sure you will heal perfectly. The swelling in the testis would go away after one to two weeks with antibiotics that I am sure you are currently on.

Wearing tight fitting underwear would help alleviate scrotal pain and swelling and limiting physical activity.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Manuel C See IV

Urologist